Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Outdoctination

The organic premise to the presentation, that education should be self-organizing, is a core value for me. I am a firm believer that the linear model of instruction is antiquated and no longer useful. Children are intuitive, particularly at the elementary levels. My son for example, who is 4, picks up my IPAD and within ten minutes had figured out how to play Lego Harry Potter with sufficient skill. He opened the game, loaded a character, manipulated the avatar (his character he was playing) and passed several levels. This was all done without explicit instruction on my part. In fact, when I leaned over to give commentary he simply said, 'Papa, I got it. I don't need you help.' The only help he needed was with motor-coordination on some of the actions that avatar needed to perform. Should we rethink out model?

1 comment:

  1. Yep, we should. I share this belief which is why I share this video each time I teach the class. Thanks for your insight and let's continue to talk India!

    ReplyDelete